1. Find the area of a triangle with a base of 10 in. and an altitude of 14 in.
A.24 sq. in.
B.70 sq. in.
C.140 sq. in.
D.280 sq. in.
2. Suppose you're given the formulaR=s+ 2t.If you know thatsis three times greater thant,how could you rewrite the formula?
A.R= 3(s+ 2t)
3. During a four-week period, you worked the following hours: Week 1—363/8hr Week 2—411/4hr Week 3—411/2hr Week 4—383/8hr
What is the average number of hours you worked in one week?
4. The expressiona= 3b2+ 2 can be written in words as the quantityais equal to
A.three times the quantity two plusbsquared.
B.three times the square root ofbplus two.
C.two more than three times the quantitybsquared.
D.two plus the square root of three ×b.
5. A pipe that is 36 inches long needs to be cut into 21/4in long pieces. How many pieces would be cut from this length of pipe? (Note: Change 21/4to an improper fraction before calculating.)
6. Calculate the current in the circuit shown in Figure A-1. Use the formula I =E/R.
FIGURE A-1—Use this circuit schematic to answer question 6.
7. Express the fraction2/7as a rounded decimal.
8. The termratein percent problems refers to the
A.whole amount that's being considered.
B.part of the whole amount that's being considered.
C.comparison of one ratio to another.
D.percent of change.
9. Find the value of y in the formulay= 5a− 3b+c, ifa= 12,b= 4, andc= 8.
10. You want to apply a weed killer to your lawn. The directions on the bottle call for mixing 3 ounces of the weed killer with 2 gallons of water. The sprayer you have holds 5 gallons. In order to completely fill the sprayer with a proper mixture, how many ounces of weed killer must you use?
11. Fractions can be added and subtracted only if they're _______ fractions.
12. What is the product of2/8and3/5?
13. Write the decimal 0.006 as a fraction.
14. An electric heater uses3/5watts of power each hour. How many watts of power will the heater use in1/2hour?
15. Which one of the following distances is the longest?
16. An angle that contains 126 degrees and 32 minutes is a(n) _______ angle.
17. Corrugated Specialties produces boxes of all kinds. During a normal month they manufacture an average of 67,000 shirt-size boxes. During November they've been told to increase production by 35%. How many boxes will they produce in November? (Note:This question requires two calculations.)
18. When drawing an angle with a protractor, after you've drawn the first side of the angle, your next step is to
A.make a dot marking the angle measurement that you're drawing.
B.mark the vertex of the angle.
C.draw the second side of the angle.
D.calculate the number of minutes in the angle you're drawing.
19. Which one of the following formulas correctly expresses the following statement: The numberxis equal to another numbernplus the square root of 3.
20. If a triangle-shaped machine part has sides of 21/2inches, 31/4inches, and 5 inches, the perimeter of the triangle is
21. The distanceha body will move in a free fall is expressed by the formula h=1/2gt2.Ifg= 980 cmper sec2andt= 20sec,the distancehis
22. Solve the following equation for y: (square root of )
A.y = 14
B.y = 16
C.y = 32
D.y = 64
23. Find the area of a circle with a radiusrof 6 feet. Round off your answer to one decimal point. (The formula for the area of a circle isA= πr2and π should be approximated to four decimal places.)
A.18.8 sq ft
B.59.2 sq ft
C.113.1 sq ft
D.355.3 sq ft
24. If the length of a room is 20 feet and its width is 12 feet, the perimeter of the floor area is
25. The first step you should take to solve the formulais