In the workplace, we may hear a statement, joke, or remark that is unkind or inappropriate. Often the speaker might appear to do so in a way that is not intended to offend, but comes from other experiences or lack of awareness as to how they may be received.
It is up to you as a manager to set the tone for how these comments are countered in order to create an inclusive environment.
Choose one of the statements below (clearly identify in your work which statement you chose).
- "We don't serve those people here." (Reference to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender clients)
- "He should go back to his own country." (Reference to someone of a different race)
- "She just slows us down." (Reference to a disabled worker)
- "Why doesn't he retire already!" (Reference to an older employer)
In a 2-3 page paper, suggest some ways in which you would professionally respond if you heard the comment by your subordinate in the employee lounge. Include how you might approach the employee (immediately, privately etc.). Provide specific comments that you might use in your discussion and consider how the individual might defend their actions. What further conversation might this lead to?
Explain the ethical and legal (if any) implications if statements such as the one you chose would continue. What might be lost in your workplace if the statements are allowed?
Include at least one resource you could use to help your conversation. Identify whether there is a legal guideline to share with your employee.
- Operations Management homework help
<em>No answers yet</em>